Saturday 2 January 2010

2009 Yi Wu Da Qiu Feng (Yunnan Sourcing)


Quite dark for such youth
This is the third fresh sheng sample I have received from Yunnan Sourcing following my desire to compare my notes with those from other tea blogs. Let's cut to the chase and see what I have found.

The sample seemed to be of a reasonably tight compression and required some slightly heavy handed cha dao action to remove a 5g amount for brewing. The first thing that struck me about this tea was that the soup was rather darker than I expected for a 2009 pu erh. I wasn't going to take any pictures of this session but I was suddenly compelled to, with the picture above coming from the first infusion. I didn't think that I steeped the pot for too long, perhaps this tea is not too forgiving?

The first couple of infusions came out quite thick too, sweet and with a swift fragrant huigan after taste. I backed off the steeping time third time around but the result wasn't a great success, the colour was more what I thought it should of been but the tea was clearly under brewed in it's taste.

I am really struggling to get this tea brewed to my liking.

On my fourth attempt I starting to get the hang of it. There is still remains of the milky thickness in the soup, the sweetness is starting to depart and there is some astringency. Again though, for the second tea review in a row I am not feeling very inspired. There is little that compels me to purchase more and I am wondering when I will return for a second thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment